In the search to provide better security for their physical workplace, employees, customers, and equipment; business owners are constantly on the lookout for the latest options in the world of security cameras. With a high resolution of 3840×2160, 4K security cameras provide an amazing amount of detail, while providing superior monitoring of a wide area. Also known as 8MP, 4K security cameras can provide superior image quality and coverage at a surprisingly affordable price, however there are some downsides to these cameras. Let’s take a look at the benefits and drawbacks of 4K security cameras and explore whether these cameras might be the right option for your company.
Does your system already record insufficient resolution, but you’re experiencing issues with your cameras or network video recorder? Read Common Reasons & Solutions For Video Loss With Security Cameras to learn how insufficient power, interference, weak connections, faulty infrared vision, incompatibility, wiring problems, and hardware or firmware issues can cause loss of video on your business’ security system.
Look at the big picture
If you need your security cameras to monitor a wide area, 4K security cameras are an excellent option. Boasting more than 8 million pixels, the higher resolution of 4K security cameras means you can digitally zoom in and see more detail than with lower resolution cameras before the image becomes pixilated. Get the most out of your 4K security cameras by upgrading your monitors to 4K as well, otherwise, the image quality you see will only be as good as your monitor. To learn more about image resolution, check out Is 4MP the Same as 4K and Other Questions About Image Resolution You’ve Been Dying to Have Answered.
- The higher resolution of 4K security cameras means more storage will be required. While this may not be a major issue for companies that don’t need long-term storage retention, it can become an issue if you need a month or more or have a large number of cameras. If you upgrade to 4K security cameras, you may need an additional NVR to meet your storage capacity or you can look at upgrading to Cloud-based storage options.
- Your 4K security cameras will require more bandwidth. If you have 4K security cameras without the internet connection to support it, they may be choppy or only viewable in sub-stream – a lower resolution view that defeats the purpose of upgrading to 4K security cameras. If storage or bandwidth are major issues, you can reduce the recording resolution, but this solution largely defeats the purpose of upgrading to 4K security cameras.
- 4K security cameras still have limited features. There is no optical zoom (different than digital zoom) option for these security cameras – yet. For those who need optical zoom features, our 5MP cameras are equipped with up to 4x and our PTZ cameras up to 33x optical zoom. That would enable the 5MP to see a distant object better using optical zoom.
- 4K security cameras are still a little more expensive than other security cameras. For many common applications, like point-of-sale in retail settings, 4K security cameras may be overkill. Business owners may consider saving their budget and opting for 5MP cameras instead, which provides more than enough coverage and resolution for most applications.
Is 4K the right choice for your business?
Like all professional security camera systems, 4K security cameras are a significant investment for business owners. We work with our clients to understand the needs and expectations they have of their security camera system to help us make an informed recommendation for which security cameras are right for the purpose. If you’re thinking about 4K security cameras, they may be right for you if:
- You have a significant budget. While 4K security cameras have come down significantly in cost, it’s important for business owners to remember that their storage capacity may need to be upgraded and we recommend upgrading monitors or TV to 4K resolution – both of which add to the total cost of your security camera project.
- You require highest resolution video surveillance and the cost will be justified by your usage. We work with our clients to understand their needs and usage plans to help them select the right security cameras for their applications. If your security camera system needs to cover an entire car lot full of new vehicles, the cost of upgrading to a 4K security camera system can probably be justified by your usage, since you need to ensure that the expensive vehicles at your dealership aren’t stolen or vandalized.
- You need to monitor large areas with one single security camera. With their superior resolution, a single 4K security camera can be used to cover a large area. If you work for a sports venue or event venue, 4K security cameras may be the right choice for covering large open areas of the venue without sacrificing image quality.
- You have recently upgraded or plan to upgrade your monitor/TV or 4K resolution. 4K monitors and TVs are a significant cost investment for companies. If you’ve already upgraded your security camera monitors, then installing 4K security cameras may be the next logical step for your business.
Our nationwide network of technicians coordinates with our home office in southwest Ohio to provide security camera installation for businesses, schools, and municipalities in all 50 states. So whether you’re located in our local service area or need our nationwide service, our commitment and promise to you are to always exceed your expectations for customer service and professionalism. From our 15-minute guaranteed response on quote requests to our quick response time on phone calls and emails, our commitment to service has always been a top priority. When you need a partner you can trust who is also a trusted partner in the community, look no further than Camera Security Now.
Our camera service and installation professionals deliver the security camera solutions that your company needs, helping you ensure the security of your business, employees, and customers. To find out how easy it is to keep your company secure, request a quote today.
Follow our blog to stay up-to-date with CameraSecurityNow.com and follow us on social media. Join in the discussion by commenting below.