We begin every year with the same resolution: to help people and their loved ones stay safe. To keep that promise, we’ve come up with a month-by-month home maintenance and safety checklist.
- Test carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Inspect fire extinguisher pressure gauge to see if needle is in the green, and replace or service if its outside of the zone
- Create emergency plan and practice different escape routes with family
- Store flashlights with fresh batteries in every room in case of power outage
- Compile/ update home inventory in case you need to file insurance claim due to burglary
- Post a resource contact sheet on refrigerator including emergency numbers for doctors, police, ect.
- Check your range hood fan for signs of grease build up and clean it regularly
- Change refrigerator water and ice maker filters every six months to remove contaminants build up
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils to remove dust and grime that could spark a fire
- Clean garbage disposal with baking soda, white vinegar, hot water, ice, and a lemon to keep fresh
- Clean your home’s circuit breaker to decrease the risk of power surges/outages
- Check pipes for frozen water so they don’t burst and ensure that pipes that are on stay above 32 degrees
- Change furnace filters every for to 6 weeks so your air stays clean while your home heats
- Dust and wash air vents to purify air inside your home
- Flush hot water heater once a year to remove sediment and mineral buildup and keep it working at its full capacity
- Replenish first aid kit will all essentials ; band aids, anti septic, gauze ect.
- Unclog bathroom tub and sink drains by pouring boiling water mixed with baking soda or white vinegar
- Check roof for ice dams so snow doesn’t strain roof and cause leaks or break gutters
- Check attics insulation by taking a tape measure to find depth. If under 12 inches you should have a professional come install more so your energy efficiency doesn’t suffer
- Inspect your outdoor lighting to see if any lights need replaced or added. well light homes scare away burglars and prevent injuries like falling from black ice
- Research security cameras and systems and add them to your homes exterior and or interior before peak of burglar season begins in the summer